Today we attended a lovely tea party to celebrate the good behavior of one of Maxwell’s friends who earned the party and the tea set by filling her good behavior cup with little pom poms.
We’ve been thinking of possible positive behavior incentives for Maxwell. I’m pretty sure we’re going to use a system of 2×3 cards on a binder ring that represent some kind of treat whether it’s tv shows, yogurt pops, or something else I’m not sure.
Desirable characteristics of a positive incentive system:
2. Target specific behavior- as opposed to just “being good”, it should be focused “when you stop the first time I ask you”
3. Achievable and Tiered –short term goals of winning a sticker, middle term end of day treat, and maybe also a long term prize like our friends tea party.
4. Add and subtract-jury still out on this-maybe just add
5. Easy to Understand- If Maxwell doesn’t understand it, it won’t work.
6. Consistency and Follow Through
The boys had so much fun and we all discussed how his friend used positive choices and following directions to earn the party. Even though the boys didn’t earn the party themselves I tried to instill the lesson that good choices beget good outcomes.